Sleep and emotional memory
Our team investigates the neural activity occurring during sleep that underlies the normal and pathological processing of emotional memories and anxiety. Our research currently focuses on the interactions between the hippocampus, crucially involved in episodic and spatial memory, and the amygdala, one of the main structures in the network that processes emotions. We want to understand how an emotion is associated to a specific context or event, and how this association is strengthened or weakened during sleep.
• Large scale in vivo recordings in freely behaving rodents using multi-site electrodes allowing for the collection of local field potentials (LFPs) and individual spikes of large neuronal populations.
• In vivo optogenetic manipulations of neuronal networks
• Closed-loop recording/manipulation systems where the automatic detection of a neural pattern triggers a perturbation of neural networks in real time.
• Classical and custom rodent behavioral protocols.
• Custom coding for large neuronal data analysis (Matlab)
Team Leader : Gabrielle Girardeau (CRCN Inserm, ATIP-Avenir)
Billel Khouader (Doctoral candidate)
Anass Tinakoua (Post-doc)
Maëlle Christiaens (ENS intern)
Eléonore Pronier (M2 student)
Website : girardeaulab.org
Most Recent Publications
Girardeau G, Inema I, Buzsáki G.
Nat Neurosci. 2017 Nov;20(11):1634-1642.
Nicolas Maingret, Gabrielle Girardeau, Ralitsa Todorova, Marie Goutierre, Michaël Zugaro
Nat Neurosci. 2016 Jul;19(7):959-64.
Gabrielle Girardeau, Anne Cei, Michaël Zugaro
J Neurosci. 2014 Apr 9;34(15):5176-83.
Anne Cei, Gabrielle Girardeau, Céline Drieu, Karim El Kanbi, Michaël Zugaro
Nat Neurosci. 2014 May;17(5):719-24.
Gabrielle Girardeau, Michaël Zugaro
Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2011 Jun;21(3):452-9.
Gabrielle Girardeau, Karim Benchenane, Sidney I Wiener, György Buzsáki, Michaël B Zugaro
Nat Neurosci. 2009 Oct;12(10):1222-3.